With the collective anxiety of the world in a constant state of hyperarousal, our energy is being expended in ways that are draining to our soul and spirit. Humans were not designed to doom scroll the news all day, have instant access to disturbing images and video or to spend most of the day in front of a screen.
Practicing spiritual hygiene is always a good idea, but it becomes especially critical during unstable and stressful times. Energy retrieval is an accessible way to keep the luminous field light and vibrant, which in turn feeds and strengthens the mind and physical body.
How to Call Your Energy Back:
1. Before going to bed, find a comfortable seated position. Extend the crown of the head towards the sky, lengthen through the side body and allow the sitz bones to anchor into the floor, the bed or a chair, cultivating a sense of stability through the lower body and expansion through the upper body. Hands can rest organically anywhere they're comfortable - palms up on thighs cultivates receptive energy while palms down cultivates a more grounded energy. You can touch index finger to thumb for Gyana mudra (creativity and knowledge) or find prayer hands at heart center, whatever feels right for you.
2. Take three deep cleansing breaths, inhaling through the nose to a count of four or five and exhaling through the mouth for a count of four or five.
3. Reflect on your day and call to mind any conversations, experiences or altercations that are weighing on your heart - maybe you didn't speak your truth when you really wanted to, maybe you were a bit harsh in tone or wish you would have been more assertive and strong. Maybe you've attached judgment to a person because their beliefs differ from yours and this isn't sitting right with you or maybe you did speak your mind but ended up losing a friendship as a result. Bring up anything that happened during the day that's still unsettled in your soul or that's causing stress and tension in your body.
4. Create your own forcefield of Luminous Energy above your head - this looks different for everyone and can even vary day to day based on your mood. Some of my favorite visualizations for this exercise include:
- a violet lotus flower
- a rainbow waterfall
- a beautiful velvety rose (the color changes based on my mood, make it any color you want!)
- a sparkly, fun disco ball
- a protective iridescent bubble
- an apothecary-style glass jar of honey
- a radiant sun
- a strong magnet
(use this opportunity to tune into your creativity!)
5. When you've selected the item to envision above your head, mentally write your name on it.
6. Reflect on the scenes and exchanges that are bothering you and let the energy of them dissipate from your body like sand. Energetically call back all of the soul pieces you've left behind, concentrating this energy in the object above your head. Speak out loud or to yourself "I now call back any fragmented energy that I've left behind. Please return to me cleansed and charged for the highest good of all involved."
7. I like to pray during this time but if that doesn't resonate with you, you can speak a mantra, hum, recite a poem, do breathwork or just be still. I also find it helpful to envision how I would like the experience or conversation to go in the future.
8. Now visualize this strong new energy pouring from the object into the crown of your head (where the soft spot is on an infant), then imagine it overflowing towards the shoulders, spreading across the chest, down the arms and fingertips, through the belly, hips and pelvis then making its way down the legs, ankles, calves, feet and toes, the wash of energy wrapping you in a nurturing cocoon. Intuitively allow each cell in your body enough time to soak up this surge of energy and strength.
9. When you feel complete, take three deep cleansing breaths, using the inhale to sweep into the deepest parts of the belly and exhaling fully through the mouth. Thank your object for its assistance and let it disappear into the ether.
10. Then stretch your arms up like a sun or rainbow, clearing any residual tension that you may be holding onto. Do this a few times to feel expansion through your upper body and heart space.
You can repeat this exercise every night, after an intense exchange or anytime as needed.
Which object would you choose to place over your head today?
Do you have the capacity to receive AND hold on to what you think you want?
Let’s try it – how does it feel in your body to imagine inviting a loving, healthy relationship into your life?
Where do you feel this in your body? What sensations do you feel when you imagine this? How does it feel – expansive or constricting? Do you feel a sense of lightness at the prospect of sharing your life with a supportive partner, or does the thought of this agitate you because your nervous system is used to chaotic relationships? Did you have to self-soothe as a child so now the thought of living with someone else makes you anxious because you are truly most comfortable alone?
Tomorrow marks the Fall Equinox and signifies one of two days out of the year (the other being the Spring or 'Vernal' Equinox) when day and night are almost exactly equal lengths and the entire planet is most in balance.
Taking our queue from Nature's rhythms, this week is the optimal time to examine balance in our lives.