I'm not gonna lie, these past few weeks have been difficult for me. My energy and focus have felt depleted, I've been battling some sort of midlife crisis confusion and as a result, things haven't been wonderful in my interpersonal relationships.
Feeling lost, confused and uninspired isn't fun, but I view it as a necessary part of the cycle of life - the ebb and the flow, the darkness and the light. While these peaks and valleys are an organic part of life, they can wreak havoc on our mental and emotional health and leave us feeling like we're running on empty.
Here are some of my go-to tools to help raise my vibe when I'm feeling bleh:
1) Connect with Nature. Spending just 20 minutes in nature has been proven to help increase serotonin production, energy levels and brain activity while decreasing anxiety, stress and depression. Grounding or "earthing," whether it's gardening, walking on the beach, sitting with your back against a tree or just laying down on the ground transfers the Earth's electrons into the body, helping to neutralize free radicals and heal inflammation. These activities also help restore and balance the root chakra, which is the foundational energy center responsible for our feelings of security, safety, strength and abundance. (Read more about the chakras here and the root chakra here)
2) Sound. Sound healing has been used for thousands of years to heal illness and restore mental balance. A Tibetan or crystal bowl sound bath can work to break up old energies that have become trapped in the subtle body and nervous system, helping to release feelings of heaviness or being "stuck." Binaural beats and Solfeggio frequencies work to trigger specific responses in the brain such an anxiety and addiction relief. If you don't have access to a sound bath class or crystal bowl, there are plenty of options available on YouTube. Instead of watching the news or listening to a morning talk show, throw one of these on while you're getting ready for work! You can always take sound healing a step further at any time by singing or chanting - both help raise vibration and open the throat and third eye chakras. Sing your heart out in the shower, car or kitchen! If you're not sure what to chant, start with a simple "om," the primordial sound of the universe that unites all beings. Or choose your own personal mantra and repeat it frequently!
3) Water. Water helps stimulate healing in the sacral chakra - the center responsible for our emotions, creativity and sexuality. If you're feeling uninspired, try spending some time close to the water - a pool, lake, creek, river or the ocean, or if you're pressed for time, drink a glass of water with lemon. Allow your cells to soak up the hydration which will boost circulation and digestion and fuel your brain. Epsom salt baths are another tried and true healing tool for busting through a bad mood as they draw out toxins, reduce inflammation and cleanse the aura.
My go-to bath recipe:
4) Crystals & Oils. Crystals and essential oils naturally have a much higher vibration than the human body and their vibe never fluctuates. Because of this, working with them can bring the human body into homeostatis much more quickly than we can on our own. Let your intuition be your guide when choosing the right crystals and oils to work with, but a few of my personal feel-good favorite crystals are smoky quartz, obsidian, amazonite, ametrine, citrine, larimar, emerald, and kyanite (blue or black). You can read more about crystals and how they work in my blog post here. Rose has the highest vibration of all plant essences so adding a few drops of rose or rose-geranium oil to your bath or tea can help elevate mood quickly. Lavender, vanilla and ylang ylang all work to soothe and calm the nervous system, promoting a sense of well-being and relaxation.
5) Palo Santo. This "holy wood" found primarily in Central America has been used since ancient times in cleansing, purification and protection rituals. It dissipates negative energy and produces a calming affect by helping to regulate emotions and hormones. Burn a stick of this wood whenever you need to banish negativity and create a fresh energy.
What are your best tips for raising your vibration?
Whether it’s love, good health, a solid relationship, serenity, freedom, a title, respect, or a certain number in the bank or on the scale - anything you chase will always be outside of you.
Apart from you.
A Perpetual Separation.
The energy of chasing by nature keeps you in pursuit and the desired "thing" running away from you. This creates more resistance & frustration and actually widens the gap between you and what you want.